The Research Rookies Program is administered by the Academic Advancement Program and the Undergraduate Research Center (Humanities and Social Science). The purpose of the program is to demystify the research process within the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities fields.
Students undertake a research project under the guidance of two graduate mentors and a faculty sponsor. Selected participants will attend workshops and information sessions that expose them to research opportunities and provide information about graduate school. Students who are interested in graduate school and who would like to learn about how to conduct academic research are especially encouraged to apply.
Students apply for the Research Rookies program in the Fall quarter. The program requires a two quarter commitment during the Winter and Spring quarters of the application year.
Research Rookies applicants must be:
- AAP students
- In their sophomore year (or, juniors must have sophomore standing)
- Interested in the arts, humanities or social sciences.
- Submit Research Rookies application
- Please refer to the “How Do I Apply to the Research Rookies Program?” section below for more details. Application is DUE on Thursday, NOVEMBER 9, 2017 by 4:00pm.
- Enroll in the weekly Research Rookies 2-unit Honors Collegium Seminar (HC 101A or 193A) days and times TBA.
- Attend weekly one-on-one meetings with a Research Rookies Coordinator and cohort meetings.
- Enroll in a 2-unit Student Research Program (SRP) Course 99 with a faculty member
- Submit a poster presentation to the Annual UCLA Undergraduate Research Week
- Attend weekly cohort meetings and one-on-one meetings with a Research Rookies Program Coordinator
- Receive a stipend upon successful completion of the program
How Do I Apply to the Research Rookies Program?
There are two parts to the Research Rookies Application:
Part II: (Submit hard copies to 1202 Campbell Hall)
- Research Statement
- Personal Statement
- Copy of your 2017-18 UCLA electronic Financial Award Notification (eFAN)
- Letter of Recommendation (optional)
- Copy of your most current Unofficial Transcript
For further information about the application components, please make an appointment with one of the Research Rookies coordinators.
If you, or anyone you know, is interested in applying to the Research Rookies Program or would like to learn more about the program requirements, please attend the following information sessions:
- Research Rookies Information Sessions:
- Thursday, October 19th, 12:00pm-2pm and Wednesday October 25th, 2016 12:30-1:30pm in Campbell Hall 1224.
- GMRP Information Session
- Tuesday, October 24th, 5:00pm-7:00pm in Moore 3340 Hall
For more information, please contact us:
Research Rookies Program Coordinators
T: (310) 794-4186