2019-2020 cohort: Abraham Hernandez, Alma Ricongallardo, Briana Limon Cardenas, Cindy Guzman, Cossette Perez, Danielle Rawles, Daphney Cruz Rivas, Jerica Watson, Kaiya Farmer, Karely Rios Amaya, Karla Rojas, Kyara Robinson, Louis Perez, Melissa Miranda, Niabi Campbell, Patrick Romero, Sydney Cattouse, Yadilena Martinez and Yanara Cruz Rivas.
The purpose of the Research Rookies Program is to foster interest in research and demystify the research process within the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
Students undertake a research project under the guidance of two graduate mentors and a faculty sponsor for academic credit. Selected participants will attend workshops and information sessions that expose them to research opportunities and provide information about graduate school. Students who are interested in graduate school and who would like to learn about how to conduct academic research are especially encouraged to apply.
Students apply for the Research Rookies program in the Fall quarter. The program requires a two quarter commitment during the Winter and Spring quarters of the application year. Participants will also receive a research stipend.
Research Rookies applicants must be:
- AAP Members or be in the process of applying to AAP
- In their sophomore year
- Interested in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.
- Meet with Research Rookies Coordinators to learn more
- Submit Research Rookies application
- Please refer to the “How Do I Apply to the Research Rookies Program?” section below for more details.
- Enroll in the weekly Research Rookies 2-unit Honors Collegium Seminar (HC 101A).
- Attend weekly one-on-one meetings with a Research Rookies Coordinator and cohort meetings.
- Enroll in a 2-unit Student Research Program (SRP) 99 course with a faculty member
- Submit for and present research project at Research Poster Day, a part of the annual UCLA Undergraduate Research Week
- Attend weekly cohort meetings and one-on-one meetings with a Research Rookies Program Coordinator
- Receive a research stipend to complete the program
For more information, please contact the Research Rookies Program Coordinators: