About The Program
The purpose of the Research Rookies Program is to both foster interest in research as well as demystify the research process within the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
During their time in this program, students undertake a research project under the guidance of two graduate mentors and a faculty sponsor for academic credit. Selected participants will attend workshops and information sessions that expose them to research opportunities and provide information about graduate school.
Students who are interested in graduate school and who would like to learn about how to conduct academic research are strongly encouraged to apply.
The application period for the Research Rookies Program will open in the Fall quarter of this academic year. Research Rookies requires a two quarter commitment during the Winter and Spring quarters of the application year. Participants will also receive a research stipend.
- Meet with Research Rookies Coordinators to learn more
- Submit Research Rookies application
- Enroll in the weekly Research Rookies 2-unit Honors Collegium Seminar (HC 101A).
- Attend weekly cohort meetings and one-on-one meetings with a Research Rookies Coordinator.
- Enroll in a 2-unit Student Research Program (SRP) 99 course with a faculty member
- Present a research project at Research Poster Day, a part of the annual UCLA Undergraduate Research Week
- Continue to attend weekly cohort meetings and one-on-one meetings with a Research Rookies Program Coordinator
- Receive a research stipend to complete the program
For More Information
2020-2021 Cohort (in alphabetical order): Aaliyah Alba Ali-Khan, Mina Anochie, Jennifer Arriaga, Joleen Chiu, Hector De Leon, Vanessa Espericueta, Angela Estrada, Angelica Godfrey, Jasmine Gomez, Jacqueline Lopez, Miguel Lorenzo Duque, Sarah Munoz, Faith Ngo, Denise Ramos-Vega, Angel Robles, Sindy Valle Davila, Christian Watson, Janet Zamudio
2019-2020 cohort: Abraham Hernandez, Alma Ricongallardo, Briana Limon Cardenas, Cindy Guzman, Cossette Perez, Danielle Rawles, Daphney Cruz Rivas, Jerica Watson, Kaiya Farmer, Karely Rios Amaya, Karla Rojas, Kyara Robinson, Louis Perez, Melissa Miranda, Niabi Campbell, Patrick Romero, Sydney Cattouse, Yadilena Martinez and Yanara Cruz Rivas.
How To Apply
In order to be eligible to apply for Research Rookies, applicants must:
- Be AAP Members or be in the process of applying to AAP
- Be in their sophomore year
- Show an interest in the arts, humanities, or social sciences (all majors welcome to apply).
- Show an interest in developing/strengthening the soft-skills needed to complete undergraduate research projects.
- Must not be enrolled in any other AAP Research Program (High AIMS, ArtsIn, EFT, etc.)
After ensuring eligibility, students must submit the following during the application period:
- Research Rookies Application Form
- Research Interest Statement (500 words)
- Personal Statement (500 words)
- Electronic Financial Aid Notification (eFAN)
- Letter of Recommendation
- Unofficial Transcript downloaded from MyUCLA