The Academic Advancement Program (AAP) will be awarding scholarships to AAP students for the 2023-24 academic year. The average scholarship award ranges from $1,500 to $5,000.
All AAP students who have completed 36 units, have not exceed 150 units at the college or university level, and who have a minimum cumulative UCLA GPA of 2.75 or better by the end of the 2022 Fall Quarter are eligible to apply. To receive the scholarship, you must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate during the entire 2023-2024 academic year and apply for financial aid by filling out the FAFSA or the Dream Application*.
THE APPLICATION FOR AY 2023-2024 is now CLOSED!
Your application and all supporting materials must be submitted via MyUCLA by Tuesday, February 28, 2023 since no late or incomplete applications will be accepted. A complete application includes:
- Career Goals/Interest: Select at least one item from the list of career goals/interests.
- Personal Statement: Describe in 350-500 words (maximum of 4,000 characters) why you should be chosen for an AAP Scholarship and include any personal challenges, obstacles, or major event(s) in your life you’ve overcome, if any.
- Essay: Answer one of the two questions in a 500-600 word (maximum of 4,800 characters) essay. Failure to limit the length of your essay will result in a lower score on your application. Note: The essay question counts for over half of your final score. Be sure to proofread, use spell check, and edit your work carefully before adding your essay to the application. You can add your essay to your application at any point before the submission deadline. Remember: the application will not be considered complete until the essay is submitted.
- Letter of Recommendation: The letter must be from a UCLA instructor (faculty or TA) who appears as the “instructor of record” for a class on your study list (current or past). This enables a copy of your Personal Statement to accompany your request.
ESSAY QUESTIONS (choose one):
Question 1 – Current Events
“The economy continues to be a topic of concern as interest rates rise, the job market tightens, and the cost of living increases. How has the current economic conditions impacted your life and education? What have you done to minimize the impact on your ability to support your education and career goals?”
Question 2 – UCLA Common Experience
Intersectional Environmentalism has been selected as the UCLA Common Experience title for the 2022-2023 academic year. When communities of color, who are impacted the most by environmental injustices and are also leading the way in creating solutions, are included in environmental decision-making, movements, and educational systems, environmentalism will be brighter, more equitable, and more revolutionary for all.
Intersectional Environmentalism highlights how some countries contribute little to climate change but are disproportionally affected by the actions of larger countries. These systemic differences are also seen within communities of color in America, with socio-political standing dictating everything from access to clean water to living in proximity to toxic, industrial zones. What environmental impacts/dangers affect your community, and what can you do to make a difference?
AAP SCHOLARSHIP WORKSHOPS
The AAP staff, the chair of the AAP Scholarship committee and UCLA First Year Experience representatives will present information workshops. Students will receive important information about the online application process, letter of recommendation, personal statement and essay.
 The online application will open the week of February 1st; eligible students will receive a MyUCLA notification. You may work on your supporting materials now and add them to your application at any point after notification of availability and before the submission deadline.
* AB540 students are eligible to apply but must fill out the DREAM application. The DREAM application can be found at http://www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp. Please visit the Financial Aid Office located at A-129J Murphy Hall for assistance.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.